Hard to believe that exactly a week from now I will be FINISHED with the Dana-Farber Marathon Pasta Party and will DESPERATELY be trying to fall asleep because the next morning is MARATHON MONDAY!! I have no idea how it's already the middle of April, and I'm not sure at what point Marathon Monday started feeling like Christmas morning but it is and it does, so there.
Last week was "taper" time...tried my best to cut down on the mileage and treat my body right. Per Jack's advice and sage wisdom, I didn't go to the last track work out and got a massage instead. Best gift certificate a girl could ask for (hint hint). Taking two days off to rest/recover, I ran an easy four on Thursday before my fundraising event at Crush Boutique and I can now say that I have officially raised WELL over $6,000 total for Dana-Farber. Didn't see that one coming either. It was so great to have my friends come out and "shop for a cause," and even better that Steph and Amanda ran all the way over from Crossroads to purchase some goodies.
Yesterday I took my first trip out to the starting line in Hopkinton and ran to Natick with Amanda, Courtney, and their friend Nicole, who is training for her first half-marathon in May. It was nice to run a 9-miler and not push too hard. I barely looked at my watch the first 5 miles. After realizing I probably could go out a little faster, I picked it up for the last four and finished strong. Yay for the last long run of the season!
The end of training. Wow, didn't seem like it would ever get here. And what a better way to celebrate than Courtney and Amanda's Date Auction? :) Those girls know how to throw a mean party. I don't think I've had that much fun in a long time between all the dancing, bidding, and prize winning (I walked away with an overnight stay at the Ritz Carlton in Boston with breakfast included. Cannot wait to put that to good use). Surprisingly I managed to make it to Doyle's 5 mile road race in Jamaica Plain this morning and took to the mean streets with fellow DFMCER's: Jeff, Courtney, and Shifter. For having danced all night, I managed to finish at a good clip--around 43 minutes!
So what do I do with myself now aside from prepare for my law school trial advocacy final that's this week? Just keep on keepin' on. My darling sister and her husband and kids (my niece, Ryann, and nephew, Brody) made me a little Boston Cheer Package that arrived at the end of the week so I'm digging through it now. Not only did they send me racing "tools" such as socks, Gu, Bodyglide, etc., they made me the CUTEST book filled with inspirational quotes and pictures. I'm attaching the pictures that Ryann, age 4, and Brody, age 2, drew of me "winning" the marathon/racing as fast as Lightening McQueen, and the wonderful "map" of Boston my sister made :)
To close, a quote my sister included: "We are different, in essence, from other men. If you want to win something, run 100 meters. If you want to experience something, run a marathon."--Emil Zatopek
No comments:
Post a Comment