Countdown to Boston

Thursday, February 18, 2010

2 Months to Go!


Ok ok, I've been horrible at blogging. I blame it on my lack of skills...and the fact that I don't think anyone ever reads this. But everyone else on the team does a good job of keeping their blogs up to date, so I'm going to do my best.

Training: Again, it has gotten more intense and takes up more and more of my time. I'm averaging about 35 miles a week. Surprisingly, it hasn't left me feeling sore or tired and I've been able to keep up with the advanced marathon schedule. Two Saturdays ago I did a group run that started out in Waltham at the Boston Sports Club and found myself running out and all around Lincoln. I was surprised to run past the De Cordiva museum and the Carroll School, familiar landmarks. I originally set out planning to run 16 miles but somehow I was convinced by others to do the full distance--18. I decided to go for it, armed with my new Garmin watch ( this thing is amazing--it measures your overall distance, time, pace per mile, and calorie count). I wanted to put it to the test and I did. I also wanted to attempt to do a group run that actually involved me running with others. I ran behind a group of 4 for a while, but as we got up in mileage and more and more people turned back, I knew that I probably would need the motivation and support of others to get me through the last few miles. So I sucked it up, and found myself running with a few DFMC'ers--Stephanie and Jeff. Now, I'm not a talker so I kept my iPod blasting, but every now and then we would exchange a word or two, and it definitely helped me pick up the pace as we got closer and closer to the finish. I was so happy when I could finally see the Boston Sports Club in the distance and Larry, a veteran, waiting to run up the last hill with me, because I was pretty shot by the end of it. I was amazed that my body was capable of running 18 miles, much less the fact that I did it in 2 hours and 40 minutes and burned 2,300 calories. I rewarded myself with a three egg omelet, bacon, and a bagel. My server at Tavern in the Square couldn't believe I finished it all and looked slightly disgusted at how fast I ate it.

Fundraising: To date, I've raised 4,500 dollars. Getting SO close to my goal of 6,000. I had my fundraiser at Dillons on January 30th and many of my friends and teammates attended. After costs, I managed to raise 1,200 dollars. I was thankful that so many local businesses were willing to donate some amazing raffle prizes and that those who were at the bar, including people who didn't even know they were at a fundraiser, were willing to buy raffle tickets. So I consider it a success!


In-Memory Program: So last night was the In-Memory dinner for Dana-Farber runners who have been matched with families who have lost a child to cancer. I feel so lucky to have been matched with the Franceschelli's. Their son Joey was diagnosed with a brain tumor at 2 1/2 years old, and passed away in 2000. Monday would have been Joey's 13th birthday. As I sat at dinner with his mother and father, and 3 siblings, I was amazed at how this family, who had gone through something that no family ever wants nor deserves to go through, were so positive and full of life. When they shared stories of Joey, they described him as energetic and happy, even during his illness. From what I've heard, when a family loses a child it can either bring them closer together or tear them apart. It is clear that it is the former when it comes to the Franceschelli's. His mother gave me this picture of Joey last night and asked me to share it with you. I will be wearing it on my Dana-Farber singlet on marathon day and carrying it across the finish line. I'm sharing this picture with you.

SO, where do I go from here? Sadly this past Friday my busy schedule of school, nannying, and running caught up with me (maybe it was the fact that the children I nanny for have been suffering from a variety of colds/flus/ear infections for weeks on end and no amount of hand sanitizer could help) and I got sick. I sadly missed my Lexington group run on Saturday. I made it back to the treadmill on Tuesday, but I'm still feeling a little run down. I've managed to get in 11 miles in the past two days, and will attempt 8 today and 16 on Saturday (once again, I'll be tackling heartbreak hill as I run from Watertown out to Waban and back).


Thanks for reading (although I don't think anyone is)! I promise I'll be more dedicated from here on out!
xo

1 comment:

  1. Looking Good Go-For-the-Gold Grasso. I'm sure the Franceschelli's are happy to have such a dedicated person running for them. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete